HR generalist cover letter
View this sample cover letter for an HR generalist, or download the HR generalist cover letter template in Word.
As an HR generalist, you know what it takes for a candidate to get the job—and having a solid cover letter is a big advantage. To be considered for top HR generalist jobs, your cover letter must demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for working with people. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for an HR generalist, or download the HR generalist cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can look for HR generalist jobs on Monster.
HR generalist cover letter template
Sometown, IA 55555 | Phone: (555) 555-5555 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Resources Generalist
Develop and support HR solutions that impact all levels of the organization
November 8, 2017
Ms. Janet Dixon
55 West Ave.
Sometown, IA 55555
Re: HR Generalist t Advertised on Monster
Dear Ms. Dixon:
As you know, a day in the life of an HR generalist is multifaceted. We can go from managing full-cycle recruitment of talented team members to investigating FMLA or EEO compliance matters within the span of an hour. While confident in my skills across multiple HR practice areas, the driving force is my desire to elevate the performance and job satisfaction of our most valuable asset—the employees.
I’ve spent the past six years working in the HR Department of DEF Company’s corporate headquarters in support of the 1,500-member global engineering group. After initial success as an HR assistant, I was promoted to my current HR generalist role.
My passion for people—combined with an understanding of HR best practices—has contributed to numerous HR initiatives delivering exceptional results. For example, my team and I:
- Increased the employee satisfaction index 16% by spearheading a “Flexible Work Solutions” employment program (a first within the company). This innovative program promotes non-traditional work schedules, work-at-home options and job-sharing partnerships.
- Created an ongoing training program on HR policies and SOPs that strengthened compliance, boosted morale and improved recordkeeping.
- Conceptualized, launched and staffed DEF Sales, a new department that provided needed sales and marketing support to field workers.
Backed by a BBA in human resources, I’m committed to helping companies create winning work cultures and top-performing teams. I take pride in providing value-adding advisory and support services to my employers, and strive to serve as a catalyst for continuous improvement.
Please contact me at (555) 555-5555 or email email@example.com to set up a meeting. Thank you.
Sample resume for a human resources generalist
Get inspiration for your job search and an edge in landing the job you want by checking out this sample resume for a human resources professional.
Use these tips to write a human resources resume.
The job of a human resources generalist includes the implementation of programs and services such as talent acquisition, staffing, employment processing, health and welfare benefits, and more. To make sure your resume best represents all of these skills, view the sample resume below, or download the human resources generalist resume template.
If you need additional writing tips, join Monster today, so the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service can help you impress employers with a high-impact resume for jobs in software engineering.
Human Resources Generalist Resume Sample
Sometown, CA 90000 | (714) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org | LinkedIn URL
Human Resources Generalist
- Certified Professional in Human Resources® (PHR®) with additional state certification in California (PHRca®) offering an HR career distinguished by commended performance and proven results.
- Extensive background in HR generalist affairs, including experience in employee recruitment and retention, staff development, mediation, conflict resolution, benefits and compensation, HR records management, HR policies development and legal compliance.
- Demonstrated success negotiating win-win compromises, developing teambuilding programs, and writing personnel manuals, corporate policies, job descriptions and management reports.
ABC COMPANY — Sometown, CA
Provides voice and data communications systems for small and mid-sized companies.
HR Generalist, 2008 to Present
Recruited to help open new company branch in Sometown, guiding the startup and management of a full spectrum of HR operations, systems and programs. Worked with senior management to create HR policies and procedures; recruit employees; create group benefits databases; and develop orientation, training and incentive programs.
- Played a key role in ensuring the successful launch of Sometown office. Structured and implemented programs and policies in the areas of training, compensation structures, benefits packages, incentives and new-employee orientation.
- Fostered a teamwork environment conducive to positive dialogue across the organization. Personal efforts were cited as the driving force behind branch’s employee-retention rate of 89% within an industry where high turnover is the norm.
- Negotiated approximately 50 salary offers and dozens of sign-on bonuses/relocation packages annually at both the exempt and nonexempt level.
- Brought workers’ compensation program into full compliance. Instituted preferred providers list and trained managers and associates on procedures to follow in case of injury.
- Cut benefits costs by 16% by negotiating favorable contracts and ensuring that company did not pay for benefits for which employees were ineligible.
- Wrote employee manual covering company policies, disciplinary procedures, code of conduct, FMLA policy and benefits information.
- Introduced company’s first formal performance review program, creating a flexible and well-received tool that was later adopted company-wide.
- Revised job descriptions across all levels and 25+ categories. “Shadowed” and interviewed employees to construct an accurate picture of the duties and skills required for each position.
DEF COMPANY — Sometown, CA
Leading home healthcare company employing 4,500 professionals.
HR Representative, 2005 to 2008
HR Assistant, 2004 to 2005
Promoted to fulfill a broad range of HR functions, including recruiting and training employees, administering benefits, overseeing disciplinary action and managing HR records. Co-chaired annual flex-enrollment meetings, resolved conflicts between employees and insurance carriers, coordinated health fairs to promote employee wellness and performed exit interviews.
- Trained 25-member management team on interviewing techniques and best practices, conducting workshops and coaching sessions that contributed to sound hiring decisions.
- Co-developed company’s first standardized disciplinary procedures and tracking system that insulated company from legal risk and ensured consistent and fair discipline processes.
- Devised creative and cost-effective incentive and morale-boosting programs (including special events and a tiered awards structure) that increased employee satisfaction and productivity.
- Reworked new-hire orientation program to include HR information and company resources.
- Saved company thousands of dollars every month by reducing reliance on employment agencies. Brought the majority of formerly outsourced recruiting functions in-house to reduce billable hours from 200+ to less than 15 per month.
Education & Certifications
California State University — Sometown, CA
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Psychology (with honors)
Worked during college as a sales rep and team supervisor for ABC Retail Store.
- PHRca® (Professional in Human Resources – California®)
- PHR® (Professional in Human Resources®)
- Complete ongoing training in the areas of compensation and benefits, employee and labor relations, leaves of absence, workers’ compensation and workplace safety/security.
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Staffing Management Association (SMA) of Southern CA
- HRIS applications (UltiPro, PeopleSoft Enterprise Human Resources, ADP)
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook)