It would be a piece of cake for any professional or experienced writer to develop a sample informative speech or a sample informative essay.
For many students, informative process of essay writing proves to be exceptionally helpful in the preparation of their tests or assignments.
In this article, I am going to touch some important aspects of . I will also enclose informative essay on smoking in the end of my article as an example for the readers.
What is the objective of writing an informative essay or speech?
The fundamental aim of writing an informative essay is to offer information as well as knowledge to the readers. With the help of this form of writing, the writer imparts knowledge on any specific topic.
The main objective of an informative essay speech is “knowledge dispensation” so your main goal is to keep the information reliable and quality wise up to date. For this reason, it is very essential to use accurate data for the audience.
Tips for Writing Informative Speeches
You can write an informative speech on different topics and for different purposes. However, the structure of the speech remains more or less the same.
Deciding a topic for your informative essay speech
Deciding a topic is the most important part in informative essay writing. Choose the topic for which you may gather reliable data. Do not follow a random direction.
Collecting and assembling material
Always prefer to collect data from well written books and credible websites. Once you have collected your desired information, start writing an introduction.
Your introduction should be catchy enough to grab the attention of your readers.
Main content area for an informative essay
Next to the introduction, work on the body of your essay. Avoid lengthy sentences that seem to be dull for the audience. Informative essay writing style is same as it is done for many other forms of essay writing.
How to write a conclusion for an informative essay or speech?
Finish your essay with a conclusion where you can also present your own views about the subject. The conclusion for an informative essay is normally a summary and brief cap down on the already narrated facts and data. Unlike an argumentative essay it does not focus on strengthening your own argument or point of view. Rather, it is a summary of knowledge and learning, already presented.
For spelling errors or grammatical check, always prefer to go with proofreading.
Examples of an Informative Essay Speech Topics
Sample informative essay topics may range from simpler to more complex. You can simply write on subjects like the largest animal in the world, interesting facts about tourism to complex subjects like the composition of DNA or impacts of ozone depletion etc. Here is a free sample informative essay on smoking.
So, have a look!
Short Informative Essay Speech on Smoking
Smoking is regarded as a fashion symbol in young boys. Despite the ill effects of smoking, people still continue to smoke. Many young boys, who start smoking, feel that they look broadminded and liberated if they smoke.
Most often, the teenagers adopt this habit just because of the company they enjoy. Sometimes, they take a puff from their friend’s cigar. Later on, they develop the habit of smoking as an indispensible part of their lives. With the passage of time, the followers of this bad habit turn into chain smokers. It must be kept in mind that smoking is a toxic habit that may develop lungs’ cancer. Moreover, the other toxic chemicals like arsenic, carbon Monoxide, methane, acetic acid, nicotine, butane and cadmium present in cigarettes are also highly damaging for health.
Currently, cigarette manufacturing companies are doing very well all over the globe. Such manufacturing companies also inscribe warnings on the packets of cigarettes; still people do not pay any heed. On the other hand, every year government increases the price of cigarettes to discourage people using tobacco. Yet smokers go on smoking and prove to be slaves of this bad habit.
The active smokers also harm other people around them known as passive smokers. Here, it is significant on the part of the government to keep a ban on advertisements that allure people to smoke. Moreover, the family members and close friends of the smoker should also play their part to aware the smoker about the bad effects of this habit. Although it requires strong will to stop smoking but once you plan to give up, you can definitely do.
The purpose of an informative essay, sometimes called an expository essay, is to educate on a certain topic. It is not for giving an opinion or convincing someone to do something or change his beliefs. In addition to being informative, it needs to be interesting.
Structure of an Informative Essay
The basic structure of an informative essay is very simple. It needs to have a beginning, middle, and end.
- The beginning needs to present the topic and grab the attention of the audience. It needs to include the focus sentence for the entire essay.
- The middle will be the main bulk of the essay and it will contain all the important facts that you are covering. This is where the audience will get their questions answered. Remember to answer these questions: who, what, where, when, why, and how.
- The end is a conclusion where you will summarize the essay. It should spur the reader or listener to learn more about the topic.
Here is an example of the beginning of an informative essay:
As you are listening to me, you might not think that today is the day that you will save a life. It is quite easy to save a life any day and it only takes a little bit of your time. I’m not talking about being a paramedic or fireman; I am talking about donating blood.
Here is an example of a closing:
So that now you know how easy it is to donate blood, it’s time to take action. After all, you have plenty of blood, so why not share? When you do, you will feel good about yourself and you will save a life.
Subjects of Informative Essays
Informative essays, sometimes called expository essays, can be used for many purposes. They can compare viewpoints on a controversial subject as long as they don’t include the author’s opinions. They may analyze data, like in a cause and effect situation, or educate the audience on ways to do something, like solving a certain kind of problem.
- An informative essay might explain the pros and cons of the death penalty, using statistics on crime rate reduction as a pro and statistics on innocent men being found guilty as a con.
- An informative essay might analyze whether lack of education is a cause of homelessness by using statistics and information about the educational attainment of homeless men and women.
- An informative essay might educate the audience on how to open a bank account.
Informative Essay Titles
To help you get a better idea of the different types of informative essays, here are some possible titles for this type of essay:
- Understanding the Link Between Cholesterol and Heart Disease
- How to Buy a House
- Understanding Your Credit Score
- Defining Poverty in the City of Chicago
- The Health Benefits of a Vegetarian Diet
- The Importance of Regular Daily Exercise
- The Causes of Global Warming
- Reducing Carbon Emissions with Alternative Fuels
- Cost Savings of Hybrid Vehicles
- Understanding Geothermal Heating and Cooling
- Why Cleaning Your Ducts is Important
- Qualifications of Contractors
- How to Get your Commercial Driver's License
Steps in Creating an Informative Essay
Most of the work on an informative essay is done before you actually sit down to type. Here are the general steps to take:
- After you have chosen the topic, you will need to research and gather all the pertinent details on that subject. You need to ascertain what you already know about the subject and then decide what you would like to know.
- You will need to make a list of the important facts and then list the main steps in your paper. Make sure all your facts are accurate. You will need to write a topic sentence for each fact and write a focus sentence (thesis statement) for the entire essay.
- Create an outline that will organize your facts in a logical way. Then you will be ready to make your first draft.
- Editing is an important step for any writing project. Reading your essay out loud will help you notice places where the writing is awkward or unclear. If possible, have someone else read it and give you their ideas for improvement. Of course, you will need to pay attention for grammar, punctuation, spelling, capitalization, and other errors.
An informative essay is the best way to explain something that is complicated...in an uncomplicated way.